On Tuesday, February 12th, our preschool visited the Chicago Children’s Museum at Navy Pier! This was part of our unit of inquiry into community helpers! Within the museum, students had real life-experiences and opportunities to role play many different types of jobs throughout our community! Click on the link below to check out our field trip video!
This year the preschoolers have been learning and talking about the topic “voting”, and how we all have a voice. We have explored the history of voting, and how there used to be a time when African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Women were not a lot of vote! We looked at pictures and read books around this topic, and developed a universal understanding that everyone deserves to vote! Our voice is important, and counts! It makes a difference! Below is our video we created for the showcase at school for Wednesday, February 13th!
On Wednesday, January 23rd, we had the honor of hosting The Chicago Botanic Garden staff in room 121! They came to teach the children about “terrific trees”, and all of the benefits that trees bring to the Earth! This was a wonderful learning hour for the preschoolers, and part of our winter edition of our year long tree study! After their visit, students went into their science journals and drew about their experience, and what they learned!
Each student was able to plant “Wild Bergamot” seeds into tiny containers with soil. These plants are excellent to plant around Oak Trees. Over the next several months, we will help these seeds grow in our classroom. We will give them sunlight, water, and warm air. In May, we will plant them around the school or at home (if the children decide to go that route).
Enjoy our picture slideshow of our time learning and celebrating “Terrific Trees”!
Our preschoolers at the beginning of the year began to learn about shapes and colors! The first shape they learned about was a circle. In working with our amazing art teacher Mrs. Zapata, the children learned all about circles, sizes, and began to explore colors! After reading the stories, “The Dot” and “Press Here” by Peter H. Reynolds, the children were exploring and finding circles and color combinations everywhere we turned! This led us into a color study! We began with the story, “Little Blue, Little Yellow” by Leo Lionni! When the two colors “hugged”, they became a new color! Take a look at our video to see what the children came up with next…check out the link below!
Introducing to you the kids in room 121 for the 2018-2019 School Year!
Welcome to the 2018-2019 School Year!!!
Welcome back everyone! We hope you had a wonderful summer, and are gearing up for a wonderful year of learning through play! We are excited to see everyone, and can’t wait to share with you all the new changes to our preschool program! It is going to be a great year.
Back to School Festival is on Thursday, August 30th from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
- Please come to our classroom from 3:00-4:00 p.m. to fill out the new paperwork and forms. If you are unable to attend, I will send it home with your child on the first day of school.
- This is the day to come in and take pictures of your child at school and for them to see their cubby, learn their shape, and see the classroom before the first day. We will not be allowing families to walk in on the first day due to the amount of people. This is enforced and requested by administration for safety of students and staff. We strongly encourage you to attend on Thursday.
- Please drop off any school supplies you might have gotten over the summer for us on Thursday. We need the following:
- 2 Liquid hand soaps or 1 refill bottle (Seventh Generation preferred)
- 2 Containers Cleaning wipes (ie. Clorox)
- 2 rolls of paper towels
- 2 boxes of Kleenex
- 1 box of baby wipes
- 2 Scotch tape rolls
- 1 pack of Elmer’s Glue Sticks
- 1 ream of white copy paper OR colored Astro-Brite Paper
***Remember to bring your child’s extra change of clothes for his/her cubby bin on Thursday, August 30th! The change of clothes should be labeled with your child’s name written on a large Ziploc bag. (Extra change of clothes consist of: 2 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of socks).***
EVERY CHILD WILL NEED FOR THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:
– Backpack (please make sure they are not the little ones because it makes it hard for them to put in their folder and other items independently).
– One folder with two pockets- please write your child’s name on it with room 121.
– Change of clothes in gallon Ziploc Bag for their cubby.
If you or someone you know has a child that will be 3 or 4 by September 1, 2018, please have them go apply online at chicagoearlylearning.org between April 30-May 11th.
We are hoping to get everyone registered and enrolled BEFORE the end of the school year to ensure a smooth transition into next school year.
If you have any questions, please call the parent hotline at 312-229-1690